Saturday, August 8, 2009

B5331 Update

Okay, I thought I would have this jacket done this week but I am getting there! SLOWLY!!! I had to redo some of the flat-fell seams as I did not catch the fabric on the fold over and with one washing they would have started to fray and all would be ruined. I was just going to use a little permanent fabric glue but decided to do it the right way and undo them.

I got the collar and front facings on without TOO much trouble. Now I have to tell you I haven't put a collar on anything since the late 70's so this was like Clothing 101 all over again. I am glad I chose the un-notched collar version. I still have a little issue at the back where the collar and front facing meet at the shoulder seam but I think I can fix it.

I bias-bound my side seams so now I have to put on the sleeves and then do the buttonholes. My biggest fear is the buttonholes. I have been practicing but it seems that they work perfectly until I put the GOOD fabric under the presser foot, then all h**l breaks loose!

All in all though, for a muslin I am really liking this little jacket. I found the perfect mustard gold color tank to wear underneath and it looks pretty good on me too. I can't wait for it to be done so I can get some pictures up for all to see.


I did make another skirt, this time from Simplicity 2917 in black stretch sateen. Yes, another straight skirt! It's so boring I didn't even bother to take a picture. I'm not crazy about the fit, the darts hit me funny, or else they are too long. I did use some cute black/white polka grosgrain ribbon for the waist facing. Too bad you can only see it on the inside.

I am actually going to take a break from apparel sewing to finish up a quilt for one of my brothers. I have had this quilt top finished for almost 2 years now and decided I need to finish it and get it out the door! And since his birthday is later this month I think it's perfect timing. So it will take me about a week to sandwich, quilt and bind it. As much as I would love to work on the jacket I need to get this done. I will post pictures of the quilt after his birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment