Saturday, February 14, 2009

Pattern Fitting

I want to learn more about fitting commercial patterns to me. I have no desire to draft my own patterns, why reinvent the wheel, and I'm not that creative anyway.

I used Nancy Zieman's "Pattern Fitting with Confidence" to try fitting a dress pattern. A lot of measuring and redrawing going on there with mixed results. It's not a bad concept just maybe not the one for me.

Next I got "Fit for Real People" and "Pants for Real People" by Pati Palmer. Fitting the actual pattern to me rather than all the measuring seemed right up my alley. I figured I go with the flow and do a body graph so I conned The Husband into helping me out.

While the body graph confirmed some things, I'm short-waisted and have a sloping right shoulder, there were no great revelations. As a matter of fact I'm pretty average. I guess that's a good thing.

So I moved to fitting a pants pattern. This isn't as easy as the book makes it look. I kept losing my pins even though I put them in the way she said and it was a little hard to see if the pattern was wrinkling this way or that way, but I managed.

I did much better with fitting the fabric pants. In fact, I think they look nice. There still are a few issues I need to work on, but I'm please with the method, it'll work for me (at least with pants!).

The pants are just about done, need to hand stitch the waistband down inside and hem. Pictures should be soon.


Meet Edgrrr

I just realized I haven't put a picture of Eddie up, so here he is......all 118lbs of him.

He always has a smile on his face....................

Time to go, The Husband is making me a Valentine's Day meal, then we are watching a "romantic comedy" and eating apple strudel. Neither one of us are into these types of movies, but I figured it Valentine's Day so what the heck! Now what romantic comedy did I have Netflix send you ask..........." The Philadelphia Story" with Katherine Hepburn, Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart!

No comments:

Post a Comment