Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Knit is Still My Enemy

It's been almost 2 years since I tackled sewing with knits.  I decided it was time to try again.  So I took this pattern:
 Vogue 8669
And made this:
It's not too bad but I still have an issue with my stitches.  The side seams aren't bad, and the back neck had bias for a little more support but the front neckline and bottom hem stitches still come out all wonking.  It doesn't make any difference if I use the so called "stretch" stitch on the machine or a regular straight stitch.  At least the front neckline folds in on itself and really can't be seen.  And I doubt anyone is going to be staring at the hem, the print is busy enough to hide it.  I didn't want to take any chances with hemming the arms so just left them unstitched.

I love this top, it looks really flattering on me.  I cut a straight Size 12 and the only adjustment I made was taking the length up 1".  It is very long and the tunic version even longer.  I would love to make a few more sleeveless and 3/4" length versions.  I think I am going to try a matte jersey knit next, this slippery 'ITY' stuff is a PITA to work with, luckily it is the last piece in my stash.

Oh yes and I made it in a day, a few hours all total from cutting it out to picture.  For me that is an accomplishment!



2 comments:

  1. Have you tried experimenting with different needles? As you probably know some knits love the universal needle or the ball point ones but there are also stretch needles and jersey needles. just a thought1 Your top is really pretty, BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sewing with knits. I use the serger wherever possible. I bought that pattern a few weeks back, and now I want to try it!

    ReplyDelete