Monday, September 2, 2013

Labor Day .......summer's end

Where did the summer go? While I love fall and the coming cooler weather, I have to wonder where the summer went and so quickly! Seems like as a kid the summer was long and lazy, now it zips by like high-speed rail. Or is it just that I'm getting older and all time seems to be zipping by and not just summer?

We had neighbors over for dinner and games last night. Always fun!




I went with a summer into fall theme with my table, based around the beautiful golden roses and orange gerber daisies I got at the market. I made a pitcher of peach sangria that was delicious.




First course, a tuna poke salad in a little corn tortilla cup on a bed of guacamole with a hint of shiracha. I loved this and could have made a meal out of it.......in larger portions of course.




Salad course, spinach with a bacon vinegarette. The white stuff is grated egg white. The yolks were soft boiled separately. When you broke the yolk and mixed with the salad it gave it such a heavenly richness. It was sooooo yummy.




Main course was Chicago style baby back ribs and twiced baked potatoes. Chicago style ribs don't get as much press as other styles but that's okay, they are our little secret. Chicago style ribs offer more resistance, none of this fall off the bone stuff, these are ribs to sink your teeth into. And the sauce is a little sweeter so you get a good carmelization. All in all, yummy.

Dessert was apple pancake with ice cream (sorry, ate it so fast, no picture).

Several rip roaring rounds of UNO put the cap on a great end of summer evening.

BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a great dinner party. We agree where did Summer go. Have a marvellous Monday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete